This training will provide instruction on the following Administrative functions in OnDataSuite.
- Creating/Editing User Accounts
- Uploading data via the File Center (+ Data Reconciliation)
- Using Goal Setting feature
- Other Admin Functions
- Implementation of OnDataSuite
Located at the top right corner – 3 horizontal bars ( Hamburger Menu)
Best Practice: User accounts should be reviewed at the beginning of each semester and periodically throughout the year to ensure current staff have access as needed, and former staff have been removed.
- Users Center:
The “Users Center” allows an administrative view of all the individual accounts and what access has been assigned. Available for manually entered or uploaded accounts. ( Not L
Use this area to review staff access and determine if any changes need to be made.
NOTE: “Did you know” can be used to set “days of access” that will make accounts inactive after the selected period of time. (Applies to ALL accounts.)
Search feature and export to excel options available on the top right portion of the User Center screen.
The “Add New Users” tab and screen can be accessed from here, if the district is NOT using LDAP. (See section below for details on completing the New User form.)
View current access levels on accounts and use “Edit User” or “Delete User” tab at the far right of each person’s row to make updates to the individual accounts.
- Adding New Users: Individual Entry Option
System administrators may choose to Add User accounts to the system from this section rather than from the Administrator View. Both function in the exact same way but using the ‘Add Users’ takes the administrator directly to a blank user form to be completed.
Upon selecting “Add Users”, a screen to be completed for the new user account will display.
NOTE: This screen is also used to edit individual user access or information and change passwords.
- Required fields for creation of new user:
Password (Not stored for retrieval. If lost, must be reset by Admin)
- Access Level Assignment
District Wide (may view at both the district and campus levels)
Campus Specific (may select as many campuses as desired)
Teacher Only (can view only the students in their class(es))
Allow user to view Social Security Numbers (for students and staff)
System administrators can edit, assign, restrict or remove access levels to Accounts in the following areas:
- Access List:
ODS Administrator (provides access to modify user accounts, load data files, and set goals) Recommend having at least 2 in each district)
File Center (provides access to view the files loaded in the file center)
- Reports: (Allows user to view the reports that contain counts, but not reports that provide a list of identifiable information under each of the designated areas of access below.)
Staff Aggregate Totals
Student Aggregate Totals
- Profiles: (Allows user to open reports that list the identification data level, as well as drill all the way down to the granular level data reported by element and code type.)
Accountability: (Allows user to access specific areas.)
Job Titles – Check as many as apply, as it will be used to create a list serve for notifications of trainings/new reports/features. NOTE: Does not affect access.
Restricted Areas (Must be selected in order for user to view.)
Areas of interest – Check as many as apply, as it will be used to create a list serve for notifications of training (s) /new reports/features. NOTE: Does not affect access.
- Adding New User – Upload Option (NEW)
- Download the User file upload template. (Provided)
- Add new users to the template.
- Make sure each user has a unique username and password. Duplicate users will not be created.
- All of the Demographics fields and the District/Campus field are required, as specified in template. All other fields can be marked “Yes” or left blank.
- Save the file with a unique name and upload using the form below.
- Adding new Users – Using Authentication Setting – (Single Sign on System/LDAP):
For districts using LDAP, please review the instructions in the Users Manual to add new users or edit user access.
To Delete user accounts, please submit a support ticket listing the accounts to be removed.
NOTE: When user accounts are initially created, the new user will receive an email notification.
Users with Administrative access can set goals for the district or for campuses in the following areas:
- Student Attendance
- Student Discipline
- STAAR 3-8
- STAAR EOC
This area can be located under the “hamburger menu”, using the Administrator link.
The areas in which to set goals will appear. Upon selecting the various areas, link to multiple options may display. Click the specific option in the area to open up the page to set the goal (s).
- Enter the desired goal(s). If all goals for the area selected will be the same for the district and every campus/every year, use the top left box to populate every box.
- If the all the goals for a year will be the same for the district and every campus, use the yellow box under the year, to populate all the boxes in the column below that year. (See example below for 2011-12)
- If all the goals for the district will be the same across all the years, use the yellow box beside the district number to populate all the boxes across the row of years. (See example below for 999001)
- If all the goals for a campus will be the same across all the years, use the yellow box beside the campus number to populate all the boxes across the row of year. (See example below for Luke Skywalker HS)
- User may overwrite any populated box manually by selecting the box.
- Also, every goal for every year for the district and for every campus may be manually entered.
- Goals may be in decimal format. ( See example below 94.5)
- Click “Save” before leaving the screen.
- Goals will display on the Dashboard / Academics sub tab. It provides information as to whether the goal has been met by displaying green, or red, if the goal was not met.
Lastly, OPTION to set the goals from the “front” end of the system, by clicking on the ” Goals” hyperlinked percent.
Select “Access Log” tab, and use the Choose range date(s) to open a calendar and select a beginning and ending date and ‘Apply’ to query users’ page visits during this time period. Use the back arrow on the calendar to move to prior months.
Tip: Press ‘clear’ to reset dates.
Click ‘Log Summary‘ to ‘On’ for a view of total page visits by user for time period selected
NOTE: Once list is pulled, it can be exported to excel via the “Tools” drop down tab.
2.4.File Upload History
Use File Upload History to see files that have been loaded over a period of time.
2.5.Roles and Responsibilities
Select Roles & Responsibilities at the admin level to review Users’ Roles & Responsibilities. Names of users who have marked specific roles & responsibilities will appear under the ‘Name’ column.
Reminder: This is for email notification (listserve) only and has no bearing on user access in the system.
2.6.Update Campus Type
Use Update Campus Type if using a different campus number schema than what TEA recommends. (See attached doc below from AskTed). This campus groups affects accountability calculations and can be updated manually to ensure campus is attributed to it’s appropriate group.
2.7.Grade Level Ranges
Grades Levels assigned for each campus can be reviewed/edited.
3. File Center - Loading Data Files
To load files into OnPoint, Administrative access and File Center access is required.
Select “File Center” / “Data Sources”.
- Each blue tab is a type of data file that can be loaded into the system.
- If a “page” icon is displayed on the blue bar , there is a least 1 file loaded for this area.
- To view the files currently loaded, scroll down to the cataloged list.
- PEIMS- TSDS files are the backbone of the system and must be loaded first.
The files can originate from the SIS (remcommended) or from TSDS PEIMS (retrieve data or edm).
Best Practice for PEIMS file upload frequency: (Current Year)
Fall – As soon as the SIS enables the ability to create the xml files and as often as needed for “clean up” prior to final PEIMS submission. (Aug- Jan)
Summer – As soon as the SIS enables the ability to create the xml files from school start to finish on a Weekly basis to review/audit/clean up data until the final submission.(Aug – July)
Midyear – As soon as possible and as often as needed for clean up until submission is final. (Nov- Feb)
- Student Images can be obtained from the disk provided by the districts source of photography.
- Section 504 (prior to 2018-19) data can be derived from the SIS excel export of a single column of student Unique ID who are coded 504. NOTE: Starting 2018-19, Section 504 data is reported in PEIMS and no longer has to be uploaded from another source.
- Financial GL (General Ledger) data comes directly from the districts business software and maybe uploaded multiple times to ensure updated information is available.
TEA – Texas Education Agency (data provided through TEAL/Accountability Application)
- CCMR – Several “review” files, as well as the “final”, of students who met CCMR criteria.
- Prelim/Final Cohort file – Students grouped by the year they began the 9th grade.
- Longitudinal Cohort file contains the graduates for the 4th , 5th and 6th year.
- STAAR 3-8 and EOC files are made available to the districts via the ETS website. All updated files must be loaded to ensure data accuracy. Files will not overlay, but add to the data already present in the previous file for that year.
- Interim Assessments
- TELPAS data files are also made available via Pearson website/login.
SIRS/ACT/TSIA/College Board/IB- Reference “User Manual”
NOTE: Redaction Policy:
The best solution for redacting individual records from your On Data Suite is to remove the records manually from the file.
On Data Suite is a Data Warehouse, therefore, it is our policy to not directly alter data once it is in our data store.
You will need to have the previous file removed from our system via the ticket system before uploading the altered file.
This also insures that if your file is reloaded from your original file in your data store, the redacted data is not going to be loaded again.
NOTE: Any individual data reconciliation results will not transfer with a newly edited file. This means if we remove a file by request and a new file is uploaded later with the same student data it will once again be placed into your data warehouse and you will have to repeat the removal request.
Please whitelist -firstname.lastname@example.org
This will allow the OnDataSuite ticket system to send emails to the users as a response to their submitted tickets without getting blocked.
It is a Best Practice upon adding a new user or editing an account, that the administrator log in using the user account’s credentials.
For Deleted Access-Log in should not be allowed.
For Amended and/or New Access – Ensure log in is functional and review access levels. Ensure user will be able to see the data needed for their duties, and unable to view areas where access is not needed. See the access test video clip for suggestions.
- Provide user with URL to the district’s database
- System will send email to provide user with User name/PW
- Recommendations for new users
- “Change Password” –Users Manual
- Select appropriate “Roles and Responsibilities”
- Attend webex training – live or recorded sessions (+Handouts) under Support/Training
- Play in the system
First, Best Practice, to loading files is to read the file loading instructions located in the blue box below the green “Click to Upload” button. Manual provides screen shots and detailed instructions about where files originate and other uploading tips.
It is also a Best Practice to load historical data files to complete the data set for at least 3-5 years. This provides the system with the ability to complete historical data searches and view trends.
- First, determine if any files need to be loaded into the data center.
Districts: Review which files are currently loaded in the system by using the File Center tab/Data Sources. Select the desired data source and scroll down to view:
- School Year
- File Name (may be edited)
- Date the file was Uploaded
- Submission type (if applicable)
- Status of the file (Final applies to all past PEIMS collections. Prelim applies to PEIMS files that are still in progress)
- Who Uploaded the file
- The “Informational “i”.
Note: Select the Informational “i” to view detailed information about the file load.
For ESC Level and PEIMS data source: A “Data Map” is available to more easily identify which districts PEIMS files have been loaded. The Icon is located under the “Administrators” tab:
Another Best Practice, is to load data sets upon availability.
- TEAL Accountability files: CCMR, Cohorts
- STAAR files from ETS
- TELPAS from Pearson
- PEIMS files from Student Information System. Recommendation is to load the files before the submission is complete (preliminary file) on a monthly or weekly basis for a proactive approach to data quality. Once the submission is final and the file has been accepted by TEA, it should be loaded and marked as final.
NOTE: If a file needs to be removed, please submit a support ticket.
ESC’s and LEA’s usually start at utilizing the OnDataSuite system at the Administrative level with department heads. Most have accounts for each of the PEIMS, CTE, S.E., Technology, Accountability, Bil/ESL, Assessment/Test and Business Office staff at the Coordinator or higher levels.
Since PEIMS and Assessment data lie at the core of the system, anyone who needs to preview or review data and/or fulfill data request would benefit.
Once the framework of how the system functions is understood by this core group, districts normally begin pushing ODS access out to the campus level. This would include all the staff types mentioned above at each campus and their support staff. Example… Attendance Clerks, Campus PEIMS staff, Counselors, Principals, and A/P’s.
With the bookmark feature that enables “sharing” reports and data within the system, many ESC’s/LEA’s use ODS as a platform for distributing/communicating data analysis within group settings/meetings. Example…Superintendents cabinet, Principals group and Board meetings.
This system has also been widely used to provide access to data with out compromising the data in a SIS.
NOTE: Remind users that they cannot “hurt” the data. It is a data warehouse to be used to discover and research, audit and review!
TICKET SYSTEM – icon
- Located at the top right portion of the OnDataSuite screen upon log in.
- Please provide as much detail as possible, including a screen shot and detailed description of location of report, criteria used, and what specific issue is occurring.
MANUAL – Icon
- Directs user to the OnDataSuite user Manual that includes a search feature to enable user to quickly locate area(s) of information.
“Support ” tab
- PRE- RELEASE REPORTS – tab
- TRAINING – tab