This session is designed for users who have experience using OnPoint. Training will provide a more detailed discussion of report functionality, advanced report building, using focus lists and bookmarks, exploring the column options and the custom report builder.
- Student Reconciliation
- Using focus lists
- Developing Adhoc Reports tips
- Exploring Column options
- Creating User Groups
- Utilizing Bookmarks/Sharing
- Building Custom Reports
2.End User Settings
Upon loggin in to OnDataSuite, review your account settings by going to the 3 horizontal bars- top left corner. (AKA Hamburger Menu)
Select “My Account”
- Job Title and Areas of Interest provides a list of areas to be selected that will act as a listserv. ODS will distribute communications to you in the area with the check box. Update as needed.
- Your Profile allows you to reset your password.
However, if you loose your Password, please contact the ODS Administrator to reset .
- User Settings – Change the display of dashboards and/or open reports in new tabs.
Located under File Center/ Data Reconciliation tab
Sub tab: Need Reconciliation
- Click on “Error Count” to see list of students
- Click on “Temp Assigned SID” to pull up the student
- Search for student using any of the blank fields.
- If not found – click “No Match”
- If found – user either “Submit and return to list” or “Submit and go to next student”.
Use focus lists to isolate a group of staff or students and review their data more specifically. NOTE: User must have Student/Staff Detail access to utilize focus list feature.
- Option 1: From a generated “list” of student or staff names, locate the “Focus List” tab just below the title of the report.
- Option 2: From a student’s profile dashboard page, locate the “Focus List” section at the bottom right corner.
- Option 3: Upload a list containing students SSN, using the top black menu bar “Focus List” tab to locate the “Upload Focus List” button.
Upon clicking the “Upload Focus List” button, the following screen will display.
- Use the drop down to select whether this is a Student or Staff Focus List
- Name the focus list
- Browse to the file to upload
NOTE: The file to be uploaded should be a CSV file of student or Staff SSN# ID’s only, or the SSN# can be typed into the blank for step 2 manually.
- Create New Focus List
- The title may be edited
- Select Submit
Append or ADD to an Existing Focus List – This feature will add the students/staff to an already existing focus list
- Browse to a current focus list
- Select Submit to add
An ad hoc report may now be created using a Focus List in the Report Center for Student, Assessment, or Staff. The report will ONLY pull data for the staff/students on the Focus List.
- Select a Focus List from the Focus List drop down box.
- Then, create report as usual. (Select Category/Criteria)
NOTE: Some custom reports also have the option to choose a Focus List as the data source.
Staff/Student Overview tab on Profile/Dashboard
- A Staff or Student can be added to or removed from an already existing focus list from the Staff/Student profile Overview tab.
- The Profile Overview will also show any focus lists for which this person is a member.
To find a complete listing of the focus groups created, select “Focus List” from the black menu bar.
From here, options include:
- Select members of the Focus list to remove
- Edit the Title of the Focus List
- Delete the Focus List
- Duplicate the Focus List
- Share the Focus List
NOTE: Click on the title to display members of the Focus List
5.Report Center - Creating AdHoc Reports
Report Center- Building great reports in Student/Assessment/Staff and Finance
- Know what data you are pulling. Click on the blue “?” to view each Category description along with the data source(s) and an example.
- BEST Practice: Begin reports with all parameters open (all years and no filters) so data is not accidentally filtered out that may need reviewing.
NOTE: If Report is being BOOKMARKED, leaving the parameters “open” will also allow for ALL new data to be updated in the report as subsequent files are loaded. However, if filters ARE selected, only these fields will be updated on the report.
- When a data “issue” or anomaly is spotted, narrow the parameters of the report by using the filters.
- Add additional criteria to pin point exact area(s) needing attention. There is no limit to how may criteria can be added. However, a message will appear when attempting to create a report that has no data.\
- Experiment with which criteria to add first and second. Try switching the order around to see if the report displays as desired.
- Drill down to view the list of staff/students making up the data set on the report. Click on the live link .
- NOTE: Staff/Student detail access is required.
- Drill down even further to view individual student/staff granular level dashboards and reporting elements. Click on left column of a list: “View Profile” or “SSN#”.
- Add columns to the list to further display criteria for each row of staff/student. See “Add Columns” section below.
- Use a Focus List to create a report for only the staff/students on the list. See ” Focus List” section.
- Use Heatmaps to add color gradients that highlight data trends.
- Use Graphs to display the data graphically.
NOTE: Use the Heatmaps and graphs together to create a colorful visual display of the data. Then print a hard copy(s) to share.
- Export the report to excel to enable manipulation of data, including formulas and calculations.
- Bookmark reports to save for later use, for sharing with other users, and/or to organize favorite reports for various topics.
- Show Percents to populate the report with a percent for each column.
- Toggle Zero’s allows the user to see “zero’s” that do not pull into the report, by design. Valuable to see what is “no there”.
- Add to User Reports provides an “Add” button, which specifies the row to be added to a “Custom Report”.
Column Options allows editing and adding fields from any of the data sources in the “File Center”.
The Column Options tab is located at the top of ALL student/staff lists.
- Edit Current Columns
- Title – free form field
- Year – drop down selection come from year of the files loaded in file center
- Submission (*) – Options when data element occurs in more than 1 PEIMS submission.
- Display Type – Code, Description, Code/Description
- Hidden – Will not display on report
- Grouping – Allows report to display as per the “group” selected. ( ungrouping)
- Apply Filter – when adding new columns, uncheck to remove a filter set when the report was created. ( Example: Grade Level may have been utilize when report was created, but is no longer needed/wanted when regenerating the report.)
- Save/Select All – use to save columns to add to subsequent reports
- Trash – Delete the row
- Controls – drag blue arrow to move row up or down to a new location in report
6.1.Add New Column
- To Add a column(s) of data to the list – Use “Add New Column” tab
- Select a “Data Type”
- Select a “Record”
- Select a “Column” – may select multiple
- Select a “Year”
Click the “Add” button – new column(s) will be added to the bottom of the report
NOTE: User may edit display of new columns, as well
Submit Changes ( green tab – top right) to view report
Add more columns from other sources, records, or years by repeating above steps.
6.2.Column Set (s)
- Save Column Set – Allows users to save a set of column(s) to use on subsequent reports
- Add new columns
- Best Practice: Select appropriate ‘Display Type’ (Code, Description, or Code and Description) for column set saving.
- Check the columns to be “saved” under “Save/Select All”
- Now select the green “Save Column Set” tab
- Add new columns
- Options to change the “Title”, “Save Years” and/or “Save Code Display Type”.
- Best Practice: Rename using specific details of columns
- Save Years – to retain the year for which that data is being pulled
- Save Code Display type – to retain the type of display selected for the row being saved (Code, Description, or Code and Description)
- NOTE: If these are initially checked, they can still be changed when editing columns/row display
- Options to change the “Title”, “Save Years” and/or “Save Code Display Type”.
- Load Column Set – Allows users to Add the “saved” columns to a new report/list
- Pull up the report/list that needs the saved columns in the column set added.
- Click Column Options/Load Column Set
- Select set of Columns to be added.
- Best Practice (Detailed naming of the Saved Column Set will pay off here!)
- Click “Load” and columns from the “saved set” will be added to the bottom of the current display.
- NOTE: User may still edit any of the columns and how they are displayed at this point.
- “Submit Changes” to view the report.
- Select set of Columns to be added.
- Manage Saved Column Sets
- Displays title of column set and how many columns are saved
- User may delete a column set
User Groups Used in conjunction with bookmarks to share reports with multiple users at once.
Locate: Find the tab in the top black menu bar “User Groups”.
- Select the “Create Group” button and enter a title for the User Group in the box.
- Drag and drop user names from the “Active User” box to the “Group Members” box.
- Message will display that “member” has been added to the group.
Best Practice: Once the group is complete, go to “Bookmarks” and use “Share” tab to locate the user group.
NOTE: Upon moving the “User Group” to “Shared Users”, everyone included in this group will have access to the report consistent with the users account permissions.
Bookmark functionality is found on ALL Validation and Custom reports.
Bookmark feature is also available in reports you create (adhoc) from the Report Center in the black box- left side.
Bookmarks enables the user to:
- Save the report and its parameters.
- NOTE: Data on report stays updated with new data loads
- Share reports with other ODS users
- Create folders for organization
- Establish a platform of consistent reports and data analysis
- Open reports from this tab
Locate reports that have been Bookmarked and/or Shared at the top black menu bar on the left side.
Utilize: All reports will be initially saved in the “My Report” folder section, including any reports that have been shared with you.
User can create folders for special topics/projects to keep reports organized using “Create Folder”.
Click on row of the report to view additional information:
- Use “Open” Icon or click on the report link to open the report with the same parameters/filters/ graphs with which it was saved, but with updated information from the most current data load.
- Share Icon- allows the user to share the report with any other OnDataSuite User or User Group that has been created. The user with whom the report is shared will receive an email notification. Shared reports will be in the “My Reports” folder.
- Edit -allows the user to edit the title of the report.
- Delete- enables to user to delete obsolete reports.
- Bookmark info – right – provides additional info about the report.
- Bookmark Reports that will be used repeatedly.
- Using Filters when creating the report to be bookmarked, will be retained. This will also ensure that only the data filtered for the report will be displayed regardless of new data files loaded.
Example: A report created and filtered for a certain year, 2017-18, will only still only display 2017-18 data, even when a file for 2018-19 is loaded.
- Use Bookmarks as a platform for sharing reports with other OnDataSuite users.
NOTE: Since data in the bookmark will be overwritten if a new file is uploaded, print out any reports needed with the current info before uploading a new file.
9.Custom Report Builder
Users can create a custom report by combining rows of data from different ad hoc reports into a single new report. The rows of data used for the custom report may come from different data sources such as student, assessment, staff or finance.
To create a custom report:
- First build an ad hoc report containing at least one piece of the data desired for the custom report.
- From the “Report Options” menu, choose “Add to User Reports”.
- The “Add” button to the left of each row of data, is now displayed.
- Select the “Add” button to move/copy this row of data to the custom report.
- “User Report Wizard” box will display
Follow the 4 steps below (also listed in the User Report Wizard) to insert rows of data the custom report.
- Step 1 – Is this a new or existing custom report?
If new, provide a title for the report.
If an existing report, select the report title.
- Step 2 – Is this a new or existing Category for the custom report?
If new, provide a category label to describe the data. (Usually the first time to add this “type” of data will require a new category.)
If existing, select the appropriate label for the data waiting to be entered into the report. (After this type of data has been entered once and a label was given, select existing to add the same type of data to this category)
- Step 3 – Row label will default to the criteria selected on the adhoc report, but it may be relabeled at this time, if desired.
- Step 4 – Return to (an ad-hoc) report to add another row of data or view the custom report is being created by the wizard so far.
Continue to add additional rows of data to the custom report from this adhoc report or create another ad-hoc report.
NOTE: Adhoc reports can come from different data sources.
Example: Use student to determine counts of students, use staff, to obtain counts of staff, and/or use finance to pull amounts.
Locate “Custom Reports”
The custom reports created will be located in “My Custom Reports”. (black menu bar)
From the My Custom Reports center, open the report, then:
- Edit the report (filter options)
- Turn on the heatmap
- Export the report to Excel
- Bookmark the report.
- Submit Ticket Icon – Use to enter a question, problem, or feature request with detailed information and click “Create Ticket”
Useful information when submitting a ticket:
- Which tab you are using? (Student, Finance, etc.)
- Which report or category you are choosing if creating a report? (Attendance, Enrollment, etc.) and which criteria you are selecting?
- Are you filtering? If yes what filters are being used?
- What specific isssue(s) are you experiencing ? (Appears inaccurate, missing etc…)
- Manual Icon – Use to search for information on reports and functionality.
- Training – located on “Support” link – top black menu bar
- Find recordings of past Web-ex training, along with handouts on the left. (Use drop down to assist with locating training topics.)
- Locate Upcoming training descriptions and registration links on the right.
NEW!- Support Training Video Clips – COMING!