This workshop will assist in auditing and reviewing discipline data at both the district and campus levels to help ensure accuracy, maximum funding and minimum accountability triggers.
Log in to your OnDataSuite Account
- URL: districtname.ondatasuite.com
- Contact the LEA’s OnDataSuite Administrator, if a new password is needed.
- Chrome is preferred browser.
NOTE: If you are a campus level user and have access to more than 1 campus, select the campus to view and they system will direct you to the campus dashboards. District access users will be directed to the district level Dashboards.
Data Source (s)
Data for the discipline reports comes from Summer PEIMS TSDS interchange files produced by the districts Student Information System (SIS). The files are uploaded into the “File Center“- top black menu bar.
Locate “Data Sources”/ TSDS PEIMS tab: Scroll down to view the data loaded. Note the year, submission ( ie…summer), and status on the files. This data will populate the reports you are about to view. A current year SUMMER PEIMS file needs to be loaded as soon as possible, even though it is a “preliminary” file.
A PRELIMINARY file means that the data is NOT the “FINAL” file that will be sent to TEA and therefore expect discipline data to change.
The number of “Weeks” refers to the reporting cycle for which data has been loaded. Example, at any time during the 2nd 6 weeks, a file can be loaded and marked as Prelim: 2 weeks
Contact your OnDataSuite Administrator if a “fresh”, more current file needs to be loaded.
1.2.PEIMS TSDS Edits
File Center/PEIMS Edits/Summer ( 19-20)
- Scroll down to the “Discipline” Interchange files
- Click on Fatal Counts (red), Warnings (yellow) and/or Specials ( blue)
- Click on the Business Rule to display the list of students (edit count)
- Export to Excel option under “Tools”.
- Use list to make changes at the source – SIS.
Utilize Dashboards to get a quick look at the district or campus level discipline data.
NOTE: The Campus Dashboard is only available for district level users.
- Displays Discipline Student % by campus.
- Click on % to drill down to student names. ( Student detail access required)
- NOTE: District users can select a specific campus (click campus name on left column) to view other dashboards independently.
2.2.Academic - Discipline
Select the Attendance & Discipline tab from the Dashboard Academic Tab.
- The Discipline dashboard is located on the right side of the screen.
- Available at both district/campus user levels.
Review district or campus discipline by six weeks.
- District and campus goals can be set independently, which will display green, for goals met, and red, for goals not met. (ODS Admin have access to set goals.)
- Trends column displays a comparison of the prior 6 weeks counts.
- Prior year dashboard is available through the “Information Year” drop down selection.
- Use the print button to create a hard copy of the graph and data displayed.
BEST Practice: Use for Campus level meetings.
2.3.Individual Student Profile
NOTE: Must have Student Detail Access to view Student Profile/Dashboard data.
Locate the “Search” tab, at the end of the blue menu bar.
Enter “Search” criteria to pull up student(s)
Once student list is displayed, use link under SID column (left), to access the Student Profile Dashboard.
The Student Information/Overview tab displays Discipline comparison information at the District/Campus/Student level for the most recent summer PEIMS data loaded.
Select the Attendance & Discipline tab from the Student Information dashboard, to view detailed discipline information for a student.
Click the blue “Toggle Discipline Details” button and scroll down to view each discipline record for the student for multiple years.
Best Practice: Use Print tab (top left) to create print screen.
Locate the “Student” tab on the blue menu bar to view Student Discipline Reports.
The Validation reports provide a list of student names, therefore Student Detail Access is required.
Open Discipline Validation folder and click on a report title to generate.
- Columns can be sorted by using the “arrows”.
- Click on Student ID (first column) to view Student Profile Dashboard
- Use Search box (right) to locate a specific student on the list by name, SID, unique ID, or local id
- Filters for Year and Campus
- Tools drop down allow for Export to Excel, Bookmark, and Report Info
Column Options- (Located on any student list – enables columns to be changed, added or removed)
Click on ‘Column Options’ to manage the columns in the report
To add a column of data to the list
- Click on ‘Add New Column’
- Select a “Data Type” – PEIMS Student
- Select a “Record” – Attendance
- Select a “Column” – Reporting Period
- Note: Due to being able to select more than one element, click anywhere outside the list of elements within the ‘Add List Columns Controls:’ box when all columns have been selected
- Select a “Year” – Current year
- Click ‘Add’
Best Practice: Check for students who are not getting funded while in a disciplinary setting that SHOULD be receiving ADA.
NOTE: To change the way a report/list is displayed, use the options provided for each row of data.
- Change “Title” by typing in the free form box.
- To select a different “Year”, use drop down options.
- “Data Set” is informational to describe the type of data being pulled.
- “Record” is informational to describe which area the data is being pulled from.
- To change the “Display Type” of the data in the column, use the drop down options.
- Use the “Hidden” check box for any column that should not display on the report.
- Use “Grouping” to separate the values in the column to unique rows.
- To Remove a column of data, click the trash can.
- Use blue arrows under ”Controls” to move a row up or down.
Click the ‘Submit Changes’ button at the top, right-hand side of the page to display column additions/modifications.
Return to Reports: Use back browser arrow, or click on “Student” tab ( blue menu bar).
3.2.Discipline Custom Reports
Custom Reports are organized in folders.
Open Discipline Reports Folder –New Reports
Note – Many reports display a count of incidences and NOT a count of students. However, the drill down will produce a list of students and the student count.
- Discipline Action Summary
- Classroom Removals by Ethnicity
- OSS And ISS Report
- Students Receiving CTE or Bilingual ESL Services With Short Term Discipline Removals
- Students with Excessive ISS Placements
- Student Accumulated Discipline Incidents
- Student Discipline Records New Report
- Custom DAEP Report
- Discipline Action Reason Code Trend Analysis
- Discipline Action Group Summary
- Discipline Action Student Counts and Days by Gender/Ethn/Spec Pops
- Discipline Action Reason and Action Comparisons By Gender & Ethnicity
Example: “Discipline Action Group Summary” report
Filters at the top of report provide options to change year and/or view by all campuses or individual campus.
Use Tools drop down options:
Export to Excel
Report Info- to review a description of the report
Bookmark your favorite reports and enable sharing
3.3.Discipline AdHoc Reports
NOTE: The blue “?” displays help, which provides a description of the category.
Creating Ad Hoc Reports
Select Category: Disciplinary Incidents
- Check the year(s) needed for the report under “PEIMS Student Criteria Filters” (right). Leave all unchecked, to pull all the years.
- Select Criteria 1- An alphabetized list of all the elements available for the Category selected.
- Search by scrolling down or begin typing the name of the element to enable auto fill.
- Click Criteria label to select (optional)
- Criteria 2 – Optional (repeat steps above)
NOTE: “Filter” link is located on the right side of the screen.
- Click the filter link to view
- Use Search box /Select All/ or hand pick any desired codes to include on the report. If no filter is selected, report will pull all codes listed.
- Create Report- generates and displays report.
Discipline Reports to Create:
Disciplinary Incidents – category displays the number of unique disciplinary incidents, not a count of records or a count of students.
NOTE: An incident MAY have more than one record associated with it (ex: fighting).
Best Practice: Start broad with 1 criteria then begin to add more criteria to identify areas of concern.
Multiyear data audits: Investigation
Student tab –PEIMS Student Report Center
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1=” Reporting Period”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1=” Campus”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1=” Disciplinary Action Code”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1=” Disciplinary Action Reason”
(rerun the reports above using a 2nd criteria such as “Grade Level” or “SPED)
- Disciplinary Incidents– Criteria 1= “At Risk”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Bilingual”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Dyslexia”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Economic Disadvantage”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Ethnicity/ Race”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Foster Care”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Gifted and Talented”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Grade”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Homeless Status”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Immigrant”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “LEP”
- Disciplinary Incidents – Criteria 1= “Migrant”
(add as many different criteria as you like)
Summer Enrollment will provide a count of students.
- Summer Enrollment – Criteria 1 = “Discipline Action Codes”
Use the same criteria as above
Best Practice: Use Adhoc reports to full fill data request.
- Bookmark – saves the report and enables sharing
- Export to Excel
- Show Percents
- Turn on heatmap – visual aid in looking for data anomalies
- Graph Control – provides options for visualizing data
Step 1 -Select the type of graph (pie graph, trend line graph, bar graph)
Step 2 -Select the rows to include on the graph
Step 3 – Click “Graph”
NOTE: Use “Print” to create a hard copy – Top left
Click the “X” to remove the graph – bottom right
Various Accountability reports utilize PEIMS discipline data as their source. Accountability reports are all driven by federal or TEA documentation.
Best Practice: Utilize reports to pull data requirements for review and transcribe onto standardized forms for submissions.
Best Practice: Utilize data to be proactive/reactive to triggered indicators.
4.1.Federal - Discipline data
Run the following report to see the impact that Discipline from Summer PEIMS will have on various Accountability systems.
Select desired Federal Report and review results by clicking on links for different groups of students.
4.2.RDA and DVM Reports - Discipline areas
- RDA -Results Driven Accountability- SPED Indicators 12-16, will display reports with counts of students with the ability to drill down and see the list of students.
- DVM –Each of the Data Validation Monitoring (DVM) reports for Discipline will display counts of students whose coding is triggering the indicator. Option to drill down and view the students if users account has “details” view.
Each of the Data Validation Monitoring (DVM) reports for Discipline will display students whose coding is triggering the indicator.
Best Practice: Run each of these reports every time a new current year summer PEIMS file is loaded to stay abreast of any developing issues.
An LEA will have a 2019 Discipline Data Reporting Compliance Review form to complete for each indicator triggered. Forms focus on compliance with the Texas Education Data Standards. Identified LEAs are responsible for: (a) validating and documenting that their data are correct and addressing any identified potential program implementation concerns found during the process; or (b) improving local data collection and submission procedures, if an LEA’s identification occurred because of incorrect data. The DRCU will make DDV compliance review forms available to LEAs for download from the Intervention, Stage, and Activity Manager (ISAM) application accessible through TEAL on February 14, 2020.
5.OnPar - Discipline
Use the Dropdown menu to locate OnPar – top left corner.
Locate “My Reports”/ Discipline tab
Select Report Information/criteria desired.
Populate reports with “Peer List” to see data from any other district/campus in the state.
Export to excel option available.
6.OnBoard - Discipline
Located on the OnPoint drop down.
View discipline data % from Summer PEIMS file.
Click “View Details” to see the underlying report.
NOTE: user can not drill down to student details
To enhance data quality, consider best practices.
Review the discipline data at least every six weeks period.
The following staff should review discipline reports:
- Personnel responsible for assigning discipline
- Personnel responsible for coding discipline
- Personnel responsible for inputting discipline
- Personnel responsible for reporting discipline
- Personnel responsible for reviewing discipline data
Establish discipline groups (by campus?) for each of the above and share reports (via bookmarks) for discussion.
Look for discipline data swings and dive into the granular level (by student) to discover issues.
NOTE: all “issues” that need to have data corrected, should be changed in the source/SIS.
Use discipline data to be predictive and proactive when resolving issues.
Review and update discipline policies and procedures, as needed.
Use data to support decisions and analyze results.
- Student Attendance Accounting Handbook
- Texas Education Data Standards (TEDS) – Appendix E – To be replaced by the TEA Discipline Handbook
- Chapter 37-Law
- Attend Discipline Training
8.Support and Training
- Submit Ticket Icon – Use to enter a question, problem, or feature request with detailed information and click “Submit Ticket”. To remove the box without submitting a ticket, simply click the top ‘Submit Ticket’ button again.
- Manual Icon – Use to search for information on reports and functionality.
Support link – top black menu bar
- Training – recorded session and upcoming sessions
NEW- TRAINING VIDEOS – Coming soon!