Click here to download this training as a PDF >>>> User-Training
This training is designed to provide an overview of the basic functionality of OnDataSuite’ s OnPoint. OnPar and OnView will be introduced, as well.
At the end of this training users will have a basic understanding of the following key system components:
- Log in and access for user accounts
- Data Sources
- Student/Assessment/Staff/Finance Tabs
- Validation Reports
- Custom Reports
- Report Center
- Report features
- Accountability Reports and features
- Best Practices
2.What is OnDataSuite
OnDataSuite – is data warehouse that is comprised of three powerful suite components. These components are OnPoint, OnPar and OnView.
OnPoint – The OnPoint data warehouse is based upon the upload of various files from multiple sources and years. Once uploaded into the system, these files then seamlessly form data associations that provide our users with information in the form of at a glance dashboard views, intuitive report builders as well as state and federal specific ‘canned’ reports. All reported values in OnDataSuite have been designed to drill down to the student or staff level from any aggregate count.
OnPar – Using the powerful OnPar reporting system, users can view their state released Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR) results and compare them against other district and campus results.
OnView – Some districts elect to publish their latest TAPR results online from within their website. With OnDataSuite’ s OnView Component, it’s as easy as referencing the unique iframe tag created from within your OnView screen. Once published, visitors to your site will be able to access the same interactive overview dashboard items displayed in your OnPar system.
The OnDataSuite data warehouse resides on a secured web server and can be accessed only after you have been granted permission and user rights through the district’s designated system administrator.
To access the data, you will need an internet connection and access to a web browser. From within your web browser type in your designated access point URL. In most instances this will be https:// followed by your district name or district/ESC ID# followed by .ondatasuite.com. Please note that this is a secured connection so the url requires the typed in URL begins with https.
Example: https://mydistrict.ondatasuite.com OR https://000111.ondatasuite.com
Designated URL exceptions – Some districts whose data is housed through our regional service center partners may require additional region specific URL requirements. Please check with your designated system administrator to find out the URL that is assigned to your district if this is the case.
System Log In Screen
The system login screen requires the user to enter their designated username and password into the two open field items on the screen. After you have entered your credentials click on the green ‘Login’ button. A white ‘Reset’ button is also available if you need to reset the credentials you have entered.
OnDataSuite supports the following web browsers:
Chrome version 44 or higher – (Preferred Browser)
Firefox version 40 or higher
Safari version 8 or higher
Internet Explorer version 11 or higher
Forgotten Username / Password
If you have forgotten your username or password, please contact your local ODS Administrator to reset.
Overview of OnDatasuite – OnPoint
OnPoint® is a data warehouse component that aggregates data from multiple educational data sources (see file center) and presents them in the form of detailed reports, interactive dashboards, and other visualization tools using powerful software analytics.
To access your account settings, look for the 3 horizontal bars located in the top right corner of screen. This is sometimes referred to as the “hamburger menu”.
There are two types of access from within the user account settings.
- Users assigned as administrators within the OnDataSuite system will have access to system setup sections and permissions.
- End Users will only have access to their personal profile area that allows changing passwords or updating the roles and responsibilities fields which effect areas for correspondence from ODS, and their not access within the system.
- Located on top right of black menu bar- three horizontal bars (Hamburger menu)
- Select My Account
- Use the “Your Profile” icon to change your password. Type New Password, Confirm Password,
and click “Update”
- Use the “Roles & Responsibilities” icon to set up your listserv. Click on check boxes to select areas of interest for listserv email notifications on trainings, new reports, features and other topics specific to the area.
NOTE: Click on “Update Settings” to save changes.
Located on the black menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Data Sources
- PEIMS-preliminary or final file
- TEA Cohort List
- Section 504
- CRDC-Civil Rights Data Collection, USDE office of civil rights submission
- ETS/Pearson-forensic data
- College Board
File Review – Scroll toward the bottom of the screen to view the files that have been uploaded into the system and will be used to populate the reports.
BEST Practice: Know how current the data sets are and what has been loaded. Contact ODS administrators to load additional files as needed and as they become available.
Dashboards provide an at a glance view of key aggregated data from the PEIMS and/or Assessment files loaded in the file center. Dashboard elements can be viewed at both the District or Campus level for multiple years.
To change the year selection click on “Information Year” drop down selection located in the right hand corner of the dashboard.
NOTE: The year selected will be applied to ALL the dashboards.
BEST Practice: Check the year displaying for the dashboard.
- Student counts from PEIMS Snapshot data (last Friday in October)
- Drill down using hyperlinks to display a list of students in that category
Working with the list:
- Sort columns using arrows
- Tools – top right
- Export to Excel
- Bookmark the list
- Create Focus List – (details below)
- Column Options-modify and add columns – (details below)
View profile – (SID Column) – profile access required to view detailed info on Student/Staff – (details below)
- View student profile:
- Locate student on a Student list
- Or Search for a student
- Then, click on the student id or “View Profile” hyperlink.
NOTE: Account access to view individual student profile required.
Explore tabs and sub tabs to discover granular data reported for the student.
Summer PEIMS Attendance records populate various disaggreated counts for student groups with number of days.
- Total number of student days in membership, present, and/or absent
- Performance Rating Codes
- Drill down using hyperlinks to display the list of students who made up the count of
6.3.Campus List Dashboard
Fall PEIMS populates the counts for this District level dashboard. (Not available at the campus level)
NOTE: With the rating system going away, columns will be replaced with data pertinent for campus levels.
- Use hyperlinks displaying the count for Teachers/Students at each campus, to drill down to the list which comprises this count.
- Click on the name of the campus to go to the dashboards available at the campus level.
- View staff profile: by:
- Locate staff from a staff list or by using “Search”
- Clicking on the staff id or “View Profile” hyperlink.
NOTE: Account access to view an individual staff profile required.
- Available at District and Campus levels.
- Attendance/Discipline percentage by reporting periods.
- STAAR percentage by subject area
- Percents will display in green if the goal is met
- Percents will display in red if the goal is not met
- Goals can be set by users who have administrative access.
- Trends show the direction of the data between each six week period.
- The Student/Assessment/Staff/Finance tabs all have pre set reports ready to generate in Validation and/or Custom Report areas.
- All of these areas also have a Report Center to enable ad hoc reports to be created.
- The functionality is consistent for the reports across all these tabs.
7.1.Data Validation/Custom Reports
Data Validation Reports
Duplicated TEA audit reports that may be run at any time to proactively audit data prior to sending it to TEA.
Organized into topical folders, these ready to generate reports allow users to review data in many areas very quickly.
Report Search allows user to type in a key word and find a report containing the word in its title
Locate report(s) inside the folder.
- Select report.
- After report is generated:
- See filter options, such as Year, Campus, Grade and/or Focus List
- Export to Excel
- Bookmark – save and/or give you the option to share reports
- Report Info – find more information about the report
BEST Practice: Use “Report Info” to find a summary of the report, as well as specifics such as suggested usage, files required for the report, report design and any formulas used for calculations contained in the report.
Ad Hoc Report Building
Help option to explain the data source and description for each record in the Report Center
Steps to creating a record using the report center:
- Select a Record/Category from Report Center
- Select a data element(s) from the “Criteria:” drop down box(es)
- Select “Filter” (located on the right) list of codes for the data element (optional)
- Leave the boxes blank and all codes with a value will be on the report
- Choose the code or codes to only include these in your report (search feature)
- Click “Create Report”
- See “Report Options”
- Export to Excel
- Add Percents
- Click on the aggregate totals to drill down to the list of students/staff names.
“Fall Enrollment” -Select year(s) for the report- if no selection is made, the default selection will return values for all available years
- Select the “Criteria: 1” – “Grade”-a data element from drop down box.
- Select “Filter” (located on the right) –Optional
- This will produce a list of all codes for the data element
- Choose the code or codes to include on your report or leave the boxes
blank and all codes with a value will be included
- Continue to Select “Criteria:” for additional data elements and filters as needed
- Select the “Create Report” button
NOTE: Reports can be built using multiple criteria and multiple filters. Do not limit yourself.
BEST Practice: When beginning adhoc report building, start without filters to prevent accidentally filtering out informative data.
Use Report Options with your ad hoc report located in upper right corner of the report
- Graph Control – Pie, line or bar graph can be created
- Heatmap On/Off – Makes it easier to see high and low points in the data
- Export to Excel – Creates data in a spreadsheet
After generating, select download link in bottom left corner to open
- Bookmark – Saves the parameters of the report to your bookmarks menu
NOTE: To find a complete listing of the bookmarked reports, select “Bookmarks” from the
black menu bar. From here you have the option to open the report, edit the title, delete the
report, share the report or organize reports into folders.
- Show Percents – Display percentages for each of the columns
Select “Print”- to create a hard copy-top left corner, black menu bar
To Generate a list of students/staff, click the number in any row or column of the report.
These live links will produce the list that makes up the count.
See Tools available to use with the list.
PEIMS and Assessment data are used in various areas of Accountability.
Reports in the Accountability section are created based on the most current manual(s) available. Calculations are performed according the specifications documented in these manuals. However, results should be considered “Preliminary or Estimates”.
NOTE: To ensure accuracy, up to date files should be loaded in the file center.
- Performance Based Monitoring – PBM
- Data Validation Monitoring- DVM
- Click on folders to expand list of available reports
- Click the report link to generate the report
- See available filters and tools for each report
OnPar is a powerful multi-year trend analysis and projection tool that allows users to compare their state released assessment and financial data with other districts and campuses in the state in report and graph formats.
OnPar contains public released Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR) data provided through the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
Initial OnPar Dashboards default to a one page district level TAPR results.
From the initial dashboard the district performance for the current and previous years are compared by STAAR 3-8, EOC and Employee aggregate data.
OnPar features a powerful report builder that allows districts to create peer lists of comparable districts data and dynamically create graphs and exportable data tables.
OnView is a component of OnDataSuite that allows districts to publish an interactive Dashboard to the district’s website for public viewing. The data will pull directly from the OnPar dashboard, which is publicly released data include TAPR results and Financial reports.
“Support” link – top black menu bar
- Ticket System – Enter a question, problem, or feature request with detailed information and click “Create Ticket”
- Find recordings of past Web-ex training, along with handouts on the left. (Use drop down to assist with locating training topics.)
- Locate Upcoming training descriptions and registration links on the right.